Pioneers first settled in Fairfield at the time that it was called Big Spring or South Fort in 1855. They built a fort approximately 60 feet by 60 feet. Fairfield got its name from pioneer, Amos Fielding.
The Tintic War occurred in February of 1856. Approximately four Utes, six white men and a twelve year old boy died.
One third of the U.S. Army in 1858 was sent to Utah to put down the so called “Mormon Rebellion”. The Army made their camp on the south side of the creek in a small town called Fairfield, enlarging it to the third largest town in the state with over 7,000 occupants. The Army built four hundred buildings, two bowling alleys, a circus, play houses, and a Masonic lodge. It also had two hospitals and one hundred wagon loads of horseshoes. When the Civil War broke-out, the Army picked up and left, selling four million dollars worth of assets for a few hundred thousand dollars.
The telegraph came through Camp Floyd just as it was closing down. The Stagecoach Inn was a telegraph station for a period of time.
The Pony Express was a established in 1860 and only lasted eighteen months. However, it played a vital role in communications with Camp Floyd and the Federal Government. Camp Floyd was one of the few stations to have keys to the mail pouches.